Hello and welcome to Bethel Manor Elementary School! Kindergarten is an exciting time for your child as they begin their school journey. Studentsl learn many things in Kindergarten and even begin reading!
- Read! Reading is the most important thing you can do for your child so make sure to read all kinds of books to your child. We recommend that you read rhyming books, books with predictable text, and beautiful picture books. As you are reading, stop and let your child guess the upcoming rhyming word. To increase comprehension, have your child predict what will happen next. Ask your child “wh” questions like: “Why do you think that happened in the story?” or “What would you do if you were a character in the book?”. And of course, visit your local library to participate in a summer reading program.
- Work on recognizing upper and lowercase letters of the alphabet as well as the sound they make.
- Practice counting and identifying numbers up to 20. There are many counting books available and you can count anything around you!
- Practice identifying shapes and colors
- Practice using scissors
What I can do if my child has mastered all these skills…
- Read Aloud – 2 grade levels above to increase vocabulary, comprehension
- Read non-fiction selections
- Have students re-tell stories, draw/write a response to story, dictate facts that they have learned
- Play games with family to reinforce math/phonics skills
- Basic computer skills – keyboarding, saving work to a file
Parents of all students have the ability to view their child’s progress in school via the Aspen Family Portal. Please visit the Aspen Family Portal page for additional information.