The Environmental Health and Safety department has oversight of multiple contracts for various life safety systems in the District. The following systems are required by the Florida Fire Prevention Code to have inspections, testing and maintenance performed to assure function in the event they are activated.
- Annual inspection, testing and maintenance of fire sprinklers systems - BPS has 19 fully sprinklered campuses and 18 partially sprinklered campuses that comprise over 2.7 million square foot of coverage.
- Annual inspection, testing and maintenance of fire hydrants. All school board owned hydrants are inspected annually to verify flow rates and function of the hydrants.
- Annual inspection, testing and maintenance of backflows – fire and domestic.
- Annual inspection, testing and maintenance of fire extinguishers – BPS has over 7000 fire extinguishers in use throughout the District at the various facilities, portable classrooms and on school buses.
- Semi- annual inspection testing and maintenance of kitchen hood suppression systems. Twice a year all hoods are serviced at all school site kitchens, culinary labs, and auto shops with paint booths.
- Annual test and inspection of fire alarm systems - BPS Electronic technicians assist contracted services with the inspection and testing of all fire alarm devices at all the schools in the District. In additional all schools fire alarms are monitored by a third party service to automatically dispatch the fire department upon activation.