In the spring of 2006, former Superintendent, Dr. Richard A. DiPatri, requested that a committee, composed of administrators, teachers and representatives from outside agencies, be established to create an award to recognize programs of excellence in Physical Education in Brevard Public Schools at the elementary, middle and high school levels.
The Excellence in Physical Education Award (EPEA) was created to honor school Physical Education programs which:
- are comprehensive in scope and outstanding in quality contributing to the overall excellence of the school environment.
- address the Next Generation Sunshine State Standards for Physical Education in exemplary ways.
- promote academic and physical achievement in other areas of the curriculum.
- to demonstrate balanced diversity, high-performance standards and instructional quality in Physical Education.
- to support and motivate school officials, teachers, and other interested persons to develop, maintain and observe quality Physical Education programs.