2017-2018 Best and Brightest Teacher Scholarship Program
Due to Hurricane Irma, the deadline to submit your 2017-2018 BPS Best and Brightest teacher application, official/original (no photocopies) SAT/ACT score report, and H516 panel print screen has been extended to December 1, 2017.
Please note: the District’s Best and Brightest committee has access to ProGOE (evaluation system), so you are strongly encouraged to not delay the submission of your application until such time that your student achievement scores have been calculated.
The state of Florida created the Best and Brightest Scholarship Program (F.S. 1012.731) to attract and retain high academic achievers in the teaching profession. This is a State funded program, with the District determining qualified recipients based on requirements defined by the statute.
How to Qualify
1) You must be a classroom teacher as defined by Florida Statute 1012.01(2)(a).
- Classroom teachers are staff members assigned the professional activity of instructing students in courses in classroom situations, including basic instruction, exceptional student education, career education, and adult education.
- Guidance Counselors, Resource Teachers, Media Specialists, Social Workers, School Psychologists and Adjunct teachers are not eligible per statute.
- You must be an active classroom teacher with Brevard Public Schools at the time of the State submittal deadline (December 1, 2017).
- The District will verify the professional activity of instructing students using classroom rosters and classes taught.
2) You must have received a 2016-2017 Final Summative evaluation rating of “Highly Effective”
- 2016-17 VAM (Student Growth) scores will be released by the State later this fall. After the District verifies the scores and adds them to the Instructional Practice Scores, then the 2016-17 evaluations will be finalized.
- Classroom Teachers who were employed by another Florida school district or Charter School during the 2016-2017 school year must provide official documentation that shows their 2016-17 final summative evaluation rating as “Highly Effective”.
- Classroom Teachers who are new to the District, and who were not evaluated during the previous year (16-17) in a Florida public school district or Charter School do not need to meet this requirement.
- First year Classroom Teachers who have not been evaluated do not need to meet this requirement.
3) You must have a qualifying ACT or SAT score based on the National Percentile Rank in effect when the assessment was taken
- Composite ACT score at or above the 80th percentile
- Both a Critical Reading/Verbal and Mathematics score on the SAT at or above the 80th percentile, or a composite score (combined Reading and Math) on the SAT at or above the 80th percentile
- Percentiles provided by College Board/ACT included below:
- Note: Individuals who took the SAT prior to 1973 should use the 1973 percentile information to determine whether they scored at or above the 80th percentile.
How to Apply
You must submit all required forms and documentation to the District no later than 4p.m. on November 1, 2017.
This includes the following:
- Application Form
- An official SAT or ACT score report (Note: Official High School/College transcripts that clearly show your score(s) fulfill this requirement)
- Official evaluation document showing a final rating of “Highly Effective” if you are new to the District in 2017-18 and were a teacher in another Florida county in 2016-17 (Classroom Teachers who received a 2016-17 final evaluation from BPS do not have to submit evaluation data)
The Application and all supporting documentation must be delivered no later than 4p.m. on November 1, 2017, in one of the following ways:
- Via courier to Best and Brightest
- Mailed to Brevard Public Schools, Attention: Best and Brightest, 2700 Judge Fran Jamieson Way, Viera, FL 32940
How to Obtain Your Scores
Order archived score reports by calling 866.756.7346 or by completing and mailing the Archived Score Report Order Form. Please review important information regarding archived score report requests and processing time included on the College Board website
Request SAT Scores*
*Please send SAT scores to yourself, and then send to the District along with your Application Form.
Replacement score reports can be ordered either by contacting ACT Student Services at 319.337.1270 or by using the 2017-2018 ACT Additional Score Report (ASR) Request Form.
Request ACT Scores*
*Please send ACT scores to yourself, and then send to the District along with your Application Form.
Frequently Asked Questions
2017-18 Best and Brightest Scholarship FAQs