School History

School History

Bristol County Agricultural High School was founded by an act of the Massachusetts Legislature in November of 1912. A Board of Trustees and a Director were appointed in 1913. Land was then purchased near the center of Bristol County, on Center Street in the Town of Dighton. Since then through purchases, gift, and legacy, the school's campus and outlying areas now comprise more than 280 acres on four, closely located, properties.

 

At present, the school has 27 buildings. Many of these buildings were built by students as projects. All buildings on campus have been maintained and or modified to adapt them to the ever changing educational needs of the county and nearby cities and towns.

 

The South campus contains storage buildings, academic classrooms, laboratories, auditorium, 2 gymnasiums, school administration and student service offices, ag-mechanics, construction, landscaping, floriculture, an arboretum, parking facilities, estuary habitat, nature trails, and the "Nature Center", a museum where natural resource students work and interpret to others.

 

The North campus includes our large and small animal facilities, cafeteria, drafting room. Arboriculture equipment, tools, tractors, ground crop tools, vernal pools, brackish water, forest biomes and marshlands for field study, complete the inventory of this section.

 

The West campus contains storage buildings for animal food, field crop equipment, field crop growing areas, more nature trails, and a cold water biome which includes the Segregansett River.

The Bristol County Agricultural High School is situated on the Taunton River and is active in numerous professional and conservation organizations.

 

Image

Circa 1936, Main building, Gilbert Hall

 

                  Image

                                                Image