Rationale for the "Dress for Success Code"
To Enhance Learning Environment
- Encourages academic gain by helping students concentrate on schoolwork, not on their appearance
- Increases student learning according to educational studies on strict dress code
- Helps parents and students to resist clothing-created peer pressure
- Increases student self-confidence and self-esteem
- Creates a more unified school climate
To Improve Discipline
- Reduces number of students sent to the office for inappropriate clothing
- Creates a disciplined learning environment
- Allows all administrators, staff, parents, and students to be informed of the requirements and consequences for violating the dress code policy
To Promote School Safety
- Intruders can be easily recognized
- No color combinations or symbols that promote gang mentality will be allowed
- Theft of expensive clothing items will be reduced
- Hazards of oversized clothing will be reduced; i.e., tripping over baggy pants or concealing items in large garments
Styles include hard-soled, non-skid tennis shoes or closed toe and closed back shoes. No slippers or slipper style shoes. Shoelaces must be one solid color that match each other. No flip-flop style shoes. Tights must be solid brown, black, navy blue, tan, or white. Socks must be identical in color and style. Other restrictions are listed below.
Styles are to include fitted solid navy blue or khaki pants, capris, skirts, or shorts. No denim, denim style, tight stretch, Spandex, (i.e. legging, jeggings, riding pants). Pants should be fitted at the waist. Pants must be hemmed one (1) inch above the floor. Skirts must be no shorter than two (2) inches above the knee. Shorts must have a minimum six-inch inseam and may not be longer than the knee. Belts are optional, but they must be plain black or brown. Belt buckle must not be larger than belt. Other restrictions are listed below.
Styles are to include fitted solid navy blue or white blouses, button down, or polo tops. All tops must have a collar. Only Canton logos may be displayed. Shirts may be long or short sleeved. If shirts are longer than the top of the front pockets, they must be tucked in. If you choose to layer a shirt UNDER your collared shirt, such as a t-shirt, tank top, or long sleeve shirt, it must be white or navy blue. If you choose to layer a sweater style OVER your collared shirt, it must be white or navy blue. Sweater styles include cardigans, crew neck, V-neck, or vests. No hooded-style tops can be worn. School activity attire may be worn on event day only. Other restrictions are listed below.
School issued ID and Canton lanyard must be displayed appropriately, visible and hanging around your neck.
No bags or backpacks or purses may be carried during the school day.
- No scarves or neckwear
- No cargo or carpenter style pants
- No sweatshirts
- No slippers or slipper style shoes
- No flannel or pajama style pants
- No holes, tears, frayed, or distressed clothing
- No sweatpants
- No bands on pants
- No short shorts
- No sunglasses, hats, or bandanas
- No hanging belts
- No earrings larger than 1 inch
- No hanging items from pockets
- Only 1 lanyard is to be worn and it must be the Canton lanyard
Click to Enlarge