The open enrollment process is a clear statement of the Cupertino Union School District Board of Education's policy to offer parents, whenever possible, a choice of schools in which to enroll their children and provide parents diverse education options from which they may select a program that best meets their child's needs. In addition to the neighborhood elementary and middle schools, the Cupertino Union School District offers four alternative programs to parents residing in the boundaries of the District.
OPEN ENROLLMENT REGISTRATION for the 2015-2016 school year takes place from JANUARY 14 - FEBRUARY 11, 2015.
Beginning Monday, January 26, 2015 through February 11, 2015 Open Enrollment requests to Faria, Murdock-Portal, CLIP and McAuliffe may be completed
at the Cupertino Union School District office, 1309 S. Mary Avenue, Sunnyvale from 8:30-1:30 p.m. providing you have attended an information meeting at the school you will be applying to.
- All students entering Kindergarten must register at their respective neighborhood school before requesting an open enrollment form.
- After receiving a Kindergarten registration receipt, parents may submit one request to attend another school outside of their attendance area school. Only one open enrollment requests may be made.
- Students in grades 1 through 8 may also submit one request to attend another school outside of their attendance area school.
- All in-district open enrollment requests must be submitted to the school of desired attendance during the open enrollment dates.
- Open enrollment requests may be made to one school only. Duplicate requests may result in the loss of priority at all schools requested.
- Priority will be given to siblings of in-district students currently attending a school or alternative program during the open enrollment window.
- The Request for Transfer process will no longer be available to students who were residing within the CUSD boundaries prior to February 12, 2015.
- Transportation is the responsibility of the parent.
Open Enrollment Frequently Asked Questions
How do I apply?
- All students entering Kindergarten must register at their neighborhood school before requesting a transfer.
- After receiving a Kindergarten registration receipt, you may request open enrollment at one school or alternative program outside of your attendance area.
- All students for grades one through eight may request one open enrollment form during the open enrollment period.
Where and when do I apply?
- All in-district transfer requests must be submitted to the school of desired attendance during the Open Enrollment dates. Open Enrollment requests may be made to one school or alternative program only. Duplicate requests may result in the loss of priority at all schools requested.
Were can I find more information about the education options available?
- Parents who DO NOT have a child attending an alternative program are required to attend an information meeting and a school tour at the alternative program school in order to apply during the open enrollment registration period.
- Alternative education program information is available at the alternative program school sites: Faria, McAuliffe, Murdock-Portal, the Cupertino Language Immersion Program (CLIP). If you are interested in enrolling your child in an alternative program, we encourage you to discuss the choices available for your child with the principal at your attendance area school so you are aware of all program plans for the current school year.
How are students selected?
- Registration numbers for transfer requests will be established by a lottery process.
- In order to provide equal access to all students, registration numbers will be determined by a lottery in accordance with Administrative Regulation 5118 - Transfers: Intra-district and Inter-district. Detailed information regarding the lottery will be provided at the time of registration.
If accepted, will I still be assigned to a neighborhood school?
- If approved, the school requested will become your child's home school. If you wish to transfer to another school or return to your attendance area school, you may do so during the following year's Open Enrollment Window.
- If your primary residence continues within the Cupertino Union School District boundary and your child has been approved to attend his/her school of choice, the approved transfer request remains valid through the last grade of the elementary school and middle school requests are valid through grade 8.
What if I miss open enrollment?
- If you miss the Open Enrollment window, you may participate in the following year's Open Enrollment WIndow.
Please contact the Student Assignment office, at (408) 252.3000, Ext. 110 or visit your respective attendance area school.