Due to the Kindergarten Readiness Act of 2010, we have now a Transitional Kindergarten grade.
For the 2015-2016 school year, students must be 5 years old by September 1 to enroll in Kindergarten.
Children who were born between September 2 and Dec. 2, 2010, will be enrolled in our Transitional Kindergarten Program.
For more information about TK you may check the following links:
Califronia Dept. of Education and TK California
Structured English Immersion Program (Transitional Kindergarten - Sixth Grade):
- Students receive all instruction in English.
Early Exit Bilingual Spanish Program – (Transitional Kindergarten - Third Grade):
- This program is currently designed to help children whose home language is Spanish acquire the English skills required to later succeed in an English-only mainstream classroom.
- Instruction is provided in both Spanish and English. Spanish instruction is phased out in 3rd grade and students are transitioned into English only. Parental request (waiver) is required.
- Admittance to the program begins in Kindergarten unless transferring from another Bilingual program.
- It is our belief that biliteracy skills will enhance the economic and social opportunities of our students.
For more information on Bilingual Education: California Association for Bilingual Education and Bilingual Network (Cal State Northdrige)
Regardless of the Program of Instruction, Furgeson Elementary offers all our students:
* Technology Integration
* Standards-Based Curriculum
* Timely in-class interventions
* District & Site Benchmarks aligned to Standards
* Free Access to Math Facts in a Flash (web based math facts program)
* Free Access to Accelerated Reader (web based reading comprehension program)
* Imagine Learning (web based Vocabulary and Reading program for Eng. Learners)
* Reading Plus (web based reading comprehension program)
* Keyboarding Without Tears (K-2) (web based, developmentally appropriate, typing program)
GO PATRIOTS AND LEARN!