Frequently Asked
Magruder Elementary Student/Parent Information
What should I know about absences?

Please notify the school if your child is absent due to illness. An answering machine is available at 220-4067 for messages outside of school hours.  

Parents/Guardians should discuss with the school principal any absences with exceptional circumstances.  

Fifteen days of consecutive absences will result in withdrawal of the student from the attendance roll in accordance with state regulations. 

How important is attendance and promptness?

The student day is from 8:41 - 3:21 

Tardy students must report to the office before going to their classrooms when arriving late. Parents are encouraged to accompany the student to the office. 

Where do I drop my child off for school?

Parents bringing children to school in the morning or picking children up after school are asked to unload or load from the rear-parking lot. 

What are the procedures for riding the bus?

Students have the privilege of using transportation provided by the county. Safety standards are in place and all students are expected to act accordingly. Children are assigned to a bus and may not ride another bus unless a note is provided and signed by the child’s teacher. If a student is riding home with another student, both parents must send in a note granting permission.  

(see Bus Safety page for the established York County Bus Safety Rules)  

What are the prices for items in the cafeteria?
Lunch is $2.60 per student; Breakfast is $1.50 
Is there a before and after school program?

Before and After school program for interested parents is provided by The Knowledge Learning Corp. (Champions). Please call (757) 833-8294 for details.

School Hours for the program are

6:30 AM to 8:41 AM

3:21PM to 6:00 PM

What do I do if my child needs to leave early?

If your child needs to leave school early, please follow the procedures listed below:

1. Send a written note to the teacher stating the date and time.

2. Come to the office and sign the form for Early Release of Students. Office personnel will contact the classroom teacher and have the child sent to the office. Please do not go directly to the classroom. To ensure that the child doesn't miss valuable instructional time the child will not be called to the office until the parent arrives .

3. When it becomes necessary for someone else to pick up your child, a note granting permission, accompanied by a name and phone number, must be sent to school


May I bring my child to school before the school day starts?

Parents must have permission from the principal prior to dropping off a child before the first bell (8:21). Staff members are not available to supervise before school hours. If needed, the Medallion School Partnerships offers before and after school care in the cafeteria.

Will my child be involved in fire drills?

Fire drills will be conducted on a regular basis. Students are expected to exit the building in an orderly manner to the location designated by their teacher. If the alarm rings when students are in the hallway, they are to move to the nearest exit and evacuate the building. If a student pulls the fire alarm, law enforcement will be notified.

How does the grading scale work at MES?

Academic (K-2):

S = Satisfactory

N = Needs Improvement
V=Not evaluated


Academic (3-5):

A = 90-100
B = 80-89
C = 70-79
D = 64-69

F= 63 or below


Citizenship/Conduct/Work Habits (K-5):

S = Satisfactory

N = Needs Improvement
V= Not Evaluate 

How much homework should I expect my child to have every night?

Homework is intended to be an extension of the instruction that a student receives in the classroom. The specific amount of homework may vary. The following are suggested amounts:

K-1 (30 minutes including reading)

2-5 (45 minutes including reading)

Please contact the classroom teacher if the student repeatedly exceeds the recommended time frames.

What if my child gets seriously injured or ill during the school day?
The clinic staff will notify parents immediately if a student has an accident or becomes ill during the school day. Please provide us with an emergency telephone number.
Where are the Lost and Found Items kept?

The school is not responsible for lost articles. Lost and found articles may be claimed in the cafeteria. Unclaimed articles will be donated to a local charity in January and June.

What if my child needs to take medication during the school day?

Medication to be dispensed at school must be in the original container. A note must be sent indicating the name of the doctor, the name of the medication, the amount, and time it is to be taken. Please do not send in medication in baggies, tissues, or tin foil. Students are not allowed to carry medication to and from school. Any questions, please call the school nurse at 220-4583.

May I talk to my child during the school day?

Parents are asked to make after-school arrangements with children before they leave home. Students will not be called from class to receive personal phone calls. Messages will be taken and delivered to students and teachers.

School Phone Numbers:

Office: 220-4067
Clinic: 220-4583
Cafeteria: 220-4585
Guidance (Mrs. Lubrano): 220-4584

Community Outreach (Mrs. Rousseau): 564-6656
Transportation: 898-0344
Fax: 855-201-1461

How can I get involved in the PTA?
All parents and teachers are urged to become members and to become active participates. Dues are $5.00. Each year, the PTA sponsors several fund raising projects. With the help of all parents, these projects have been very successful and allow the PTA to fund many important activities at the school.
What do I need to register my child?
Click here for the YCSD Registration information.