Dear Port Malabar Elementary Families,
Port Malabar Elementary will continue to implement the social-emotional learning program called Second Step. The Second Step program teaches critical skills in the following four areas:
1. SKILLS for LEARNING: Students gain skills to help themselves learn, including how to focus their attention, listen carefully, use self-talk to stay on task, and be assertive when asking for help with schoolwork. 2. EMPATHY: Students learn to identify and understand their own and others feelings. Students also learn how to take anthers perspective and how to show compassion.
3. EMOTION MANAGEMENT: Students learn specific skills for calming down when experiencing strong feelings, such as anxiety or anger.
4. PROBLEM SOLVING: Students learn a process for solving problems with others in a positive way.
We would also like to let you know about our exciting new unit
“Bullying Prevention”. This unit builds on the social-emotional skills that are taught through our Second Step.
In the lessons, specific skills to help stop bullying will be taught and reviewed. Your child will learn how to:
• Recognize when bullying is happening.
• Report bullying to a caring adult.
• Refuse to let bullying happen to themselves or others.
• Be a bystander who stands up & is part of the solution.
Information regarding Second Step and the Bullying Prevention lessons will be posted under your childs grade level. The “Home Links” are a great way to re-enforce critical skills that your child is learning!
PORT MALABAR ELEMENTARY FAMILIES GO ONLINE TODAY!
Make sure to join Second Step at www.secondstep.org and activate your account so you may watch videos about the Second Step program & the Bullying Prevention Unit. You will also be able to read additional information about what you child is learning!
KINDERGARTEN ACTIVATION KEYS
- SECOND STEP: SSPK FAMI LY70
- BULLYING PREVENTION UNIT: BPUK FAMI LY00
FIRST GRADE ACTIVATION KEYS:
- SECOND STEP: SSP1 FAMI LY71
- BULLYING PREVENTION UNIT: BPU1 FAMI LYO1
SECOND GRADE ACTIVATION KEYS:
- SECOND STEP: SP2 FAMI LY72
- BULLYING PREVENTION UNIT: BP2U FAMI LYO2
THIRD GRADE ACTIVATION KEYS:
- SECOND STEP: SSP3 FAMI LY73
- BULLYING PREVENTION UNIT: BPU3 FAMI LY03
APRIL & MAY
Character Education Lessons
For April and May in Character Education we will be working through Unit 4: Problem Solving. There are two goals for this unit. The first goal is to learn and begin to develop the ability to solve problems in a safe and respectful way. The second goal is to develop friendship making skills.
Please use the Home Links & re-enforce these critical skills at home!