Welcome to first grade with Sara Frandsen and Cathy Godke!
First Grade is always a busy place!
Our curriculum includes the following areas:
- The Everyday Mathematics series is used at Prairieview. The course consists of classroom experimentation and a math journal.
- Reading is taught through many avenues: phonics, guided reading groups, leveled reading, sight word recognition and many other innovative techniques.
- The FOSS science method is taught throughout the school. This method incorporates both experiments and literacy. It really does consist of "hands on" projects!!! We have solids, liquids and gas units as well as a plant series.
- We learn about our community and the neighbors around the United States in social studies.
- Writing is taught through Being A Writer and writing practice. It is supplemented with the "Six Traits" writing series.