PRE-AP & AP SUMMER READING REQUIREMENTS
Students who will be in 9th-12th grade Pre-AP or AP English during the 2014-2015 school year are required to read select books according to their attendance area. Readings should be completed by 8/25/14. Students will be assessed on their summer reading when they return to school.
Click here to view the PreAP/AP Summer Reading List.
Some PreAP classes require that students choose one book from the 2014 High School Summer Reading List, which is designed to provide students with a wide variety of reading choices. Current research* shows that giving students choice in selecting their summer reading books:
- Has a significant impact on their academic success
- Encourages the joy of reading
- Combats summer reading loss and promotes reading development
The titles on the 2014 High School Summer Reading List include the 2014 and 2009 Tayshas Reading lists, which are created by the Texas Library Association, as well as classics not currently used in the English Language Arts curriculum and the 2014 Richardson Reads One Book selection. Click here to view the High School Summer Reading List Arranged by Genre.
*RESEARCH ON SUMMER READING
There are a number of professional books and journal articles that address the importance of student choice in reading development as well as the importance of summer reading. Two recently published books on this topic are listed below for those who would like additional information..
- Summer Reading: Closing the Rich/Poor Reading Achievement Gap. Edited by Richard L. Allington and Anne McGill-Franzen. 2013.
- No More Summer-Reading Loss. By Carrie Cahill, Kathy Horvath, Anne McGill-Franzen, and Richard Allington. 2013.