Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

We are new to District U- 46. What documents are needed? 

If you are transferring to U-46 from a school in Illinois, you need to present a letter from your previous district stating that your student's health records are up to date and in compliance. Students entering kindergarten, 6th grade and 9th grade need a physical completed within the past year.

If your student is transferring to U-46 from a school outside Illinois, you must present a copy of  shot records at registration. A physical exam and any missing immunization must be submitted within six weeks of entry.


Visit the health forms page to download the actual documents that should be submitted. 

What are the health requirements for my child to start school?
Please view the 2017-2018 Health requirements here.


What if my student needs to take medication at school?
The only appropriate medications given at school are those that are needed to maintain a student's health or ability to learn. Examples of appropriate requests would be: inhalers, insulin, medication to maintain attention, epinephrine for allergic reactions. Inappropriate medication requests would include temporary medications like: cold medications, antibiotics, or medications ordered one, two or three times per day. If you have an appropriate medication request, you will need to supply a completed medication permission form (English formSpanish form) and the medication.

Is it okay for my student to carry his inhaler at school? 
Yes, but the medication permission form and self administration form both must be completed and on file. For your student's safety, the nurse will check to see that your student uses her inhaler properly. It is always a good idea to have a spare one in the health office.

Does the school need to know if my student takes medication at home? 
If the medication affects her classroom performance, it is in the student's best interest that this information is shared with the school nurse. All information shared is kept confidential and shared only on a “need-to-know basis.” Please contact your school nurse with any questions.


When should I keep my child home?
Keep your student at home if he/she:

  • has a temperature of 100 degrees or higher
  • has been vomiting or having diarrhea within the past 24 hours,
  • complains of an earache
  • has a rash that has not been seen by a doctor,
  • eyes appear reddened, are crusted or draining.

Your student may return to school once they have been fever free for 24 hours without the use of medications, has not vomited or had diarrhea for 24 hours, rash is gone or is determined to be non-contagious by the doctor (note required), eyes are clear and without drainage (or have been on prescription eye drops for 24 hours).


My student has an injury that will keep him out of gym for a few weeks. What should I do?
Obtain a written note from his doctor stating the specific activity restriction and its duration. Please be sure to have the doctor write a note that states when your child is able to resume physical activity. This note should be given to the school nurse.

How will you contact me if my student becomes ill or seriously injured while at school?
Information provided on the student's emergency cards will be used. Please make sure that emergency contact information is complete with up-to-date phone numbers, including cell numbers. If there has been any change, please contact the school to add or eliminate names/numbers.


My student has a severe food allergy. I want to be sure that he is safe while he is at school. What do I do?
Notify your school nurse and your child's teacher about your student's allergy and how he/she describes his symptoms. Have the completed medication form  and any emergency medication needed at school by the first day of attendance. 


What do I do if I have concerns regarding my student's vision and/or hearing?
Vision and hearing screenings are done once a year at each school for specific grades, as mandated by the state. However, if you have any concerns regarding your student's vision or hearing, please contact the school nurse who will screen your student and let you know whether or not further follow up is necessary.