Participate in the Illinois 5Essentials Survey
Teachers, parents, guardians and students in grades 6 through 12 across Illinois are encouraged to participate in the Illinois 5Essentials Survey to share their thoughts on the important elements of school effectiveness and help guide school improvement.
To search for your school's name, look up the full name (for example, look under H for Heritage Elementary School).
5Essentials Fact Sheet
5Essentials Hoja Informativa
5Essentials Preguntas Frecuentes
The 5Essentials Survey will be administered online on behalf of the Illinois State Board of Education. The survey identifies five indicators that can lead to important student outcomes, including improved attendance and larger test score gains. Research has shown that schools strong on these indicators are 10 times more likely to improve student learning. The five indicators are effective leaders, collaborative teachers, involved families, supportive environments and ambitious Instruction.
- Effective Leaders: The principal works with teachers to implement a clear and strategic vision for school success.
- Collaborative Teachers: The staff is committed to the school, receives strong professional development, and works together to improve the school.
- Involved Families: The entire school staff builds strong relationships with families and communities to support learning.
- Supportive Environment: The school is safe and orderly. Teachers have high expectations for students and support students to realize their goals. Classmates also support one another.
- Ambitious Instruction: Classes are academically demanding and engage students by emphasizing the application of knowledge.
All U-46 parents are encouraged to take this survey - whether your child is in an early childhood program, elementary school or middle school. If parents have more than one child at a school, they should complete only one survey for that school. In addition, only one parent or guardian per household may participate in the survey. Parents with children enrolled in multiple schools may take the survey for each school.
The parent survey results will only be generated by the state if at least 20 percent of parents at a school respond to the survey. If at least 20 percent of parents participate, this data will be made available to principals.
Click here to see the final parent participation rates from each of our schools.
The state is not providing hard copies of this survey; however, our schools will make computers available to parents. Call your child's school if you are interested in taking the survey online there.
To take the parent survey, please visit https://survey.5-essentials.org/illinois/ before January 30, 2017.
Student Survey – for 6th through 12th grade
Illinois is only allowing students in grades 6 through 12 to take the survey. Students are required to take the survey at school and will be given time.
All U-46 teachers will be asked to take the survey. The State Board of Education is only administering the survey to certified teachers whose primary responsibility involves teaching students for the majority of the school day and year.
The identities of anyone taking a survey will be kept completely confidential and survey responses will not be linked to any individual. More information can be found online at https://illinois.5-essentials.org.