GRADE POINT AVERAGE
GPA (Grade Point Average) is a student’s average grade, computed on a four-point scale: A=4.00, B=3.00, C=2.00, D=1.00, F=0.00.
There are at least seven GPA computations…
Remember that High School starts at 9th grade, but the GPA for college begins in 10th grade.
- The most common is the overall unweighted GPA; in which all courses are included in the computation except Physical Education courses; no extra points are given for honors or AP classes.
- Cumulative GPA includes all courses 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade; repeated courses are averaged; and an extra (0.025) point is given for AP classes only. This GPA is used by Community Colleges for entrance into their Honors programs (typically a 3.00 to 3.50 is required).
- California State University (CSU) is overall weighted; in which all courses are included in the computation except Physical Education courses; extra points are added for each approved* honors and AP class (no more than 8 points can be included).
- CSU GPA calculator
- CSU - SAT Score/GPA Index
- University of California (UC) is academic weighted: ONLY English, math, science, foreign language, social studies, visual/performing arts (A through G requirements); extra points are added for each approved* honors and AP class (no more than 4 points can be included for 10thgrade).
- UC GPA calculator
- UC Eligibility Index
- UC Approved Honors and AP Courses
- Private Colleges/Universities is academic unwieghted; ONLY English, math, science, foreign language, social studies, are included; no extra points. (Check with each private College or University for their GPA requirements and calculations). Click here for more information.
- Cal-Grant is 10th and 11th grades only, no summer school after 11th; includes all courses expect Physical Education; no extra points; repeated courses are averaged.
- LAUSD GPA is all courses 10th, 11th, fall of 12th; repeated courses are averaged; an extra (0.025) point is given for AP classes only.
To calculate your GPA:
- Add all the A’s and multiply by 4
- Add all the B’s and multiply by 3
- Add all the C’s and multiply by 2
- Add all the D’s and multiply by 1
- Add all the F’s and multiply by 0
- Then add all grade points together
- Then add all courses
- Then divide the grade points by the number of courses
*approved honors and AP courses may be verified on the UC Doorways website à https://doorways.ucop.edu/list/app/home?execution=e1s4
Additional Important Websites