Release date: October 14, 2017
STATE RECOGNITION: Congratulations to the six District 15 recipients of this year's 2017-18 Illinois State Board of Education Those Who Excel Awards!
The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) recognized each of District 15’s six nominees with awards in its prestigious “Those Who Excel” awards program this year.
Each year, ISBE's "Those Who Excel" awards program honors outstanding teachers, administrators, student support personnel, educational service personnel, and community members for their exceptional contributions to schools throughout the state. Candidates are nominated by their local schools or people in their communities. Letters of recommendation are also required. A committee of peers, including representatives from statewide education organizations and former award recipients, determines the level of recognition nominees will receive—Excellence, Merit, or Recognition.
District 15's honorees will receive two Awards of Excellence and four Awards of Recognition when are recognized at ISBE's "Those Who Excel" Banquet, which will be held Saturday, October 28, 2017, at the Marriott Bloomington-Normal Conference Center in Normal.
- Pam Seick, Joseph M. Kiszka Educational Service Center, received an Award of Excellence in the "Educational Service Personnel" category.
- Lisa Kearney, Willow Bend Elementary School, received an Award of Excellence in the "Student Support Personnel" category.
- Margaret “Peggy” Babcock, former Board of Education President, received an Award of Recognition in the "Board Member" category.
- Nicole Gavin, Carl Sandburg Junior High School, received an Award of Recognition in the "Early Career Educator" category.
- Laura Pokrajac, Walter R. Sundling Junior High School, received an Award of Recognition in the "Classroom Teacher" category.
- Lake Louise School Positive Behavior Intervention Support (PBIS) Green Team received an Award of Recognition in the "Team" category.
Click here for a full list of this year's award recipients.