Attendance is one of the most important parts of a student’s education. The WALC strives to provide an educational setting for all students to feel safe and comfortable. The following policies are in place to ensure students are able to complete the required work for each class credit.
Day School Program:
A parent or guardian must notify the Waseca Area Learning Center office (507-835-5588) of their student’s absence prior to 9:00 AM. If a call cannot be made, a note from the parent/guardian will be required within 5 days or it will be considered unexcused. Extended absences should be arranged with administration one week before they occur. Credit may not be given for work missed during unexcused absences.
Valid reasons for absence or tardiness:
- Illness of student
- Serious illness or death of family member
- Dental, medical or clinical appointments (Absences of 3 or more consecutive days will require a doctor’s note.)
- Family emergencies
- Observance of religious holidays (advanced permission required)
Examples of Unexcused Absences:
- Leaving the building without parent/guardian AND school permission
- Skipping class, whether or not the student stays in the building
- Submitting a forged note or “fake telephone call” as an excuse from class/school
- Oversleeping or missed rides
- Haircuts or other errands
- Vacations (Excused with one week prior notice)
- Other absences deemed unapproved by WALC administration
Students are considered tardy if they are not in their expected seat by the start of class time. Four tardies in one class period = one unexcused absence.