High school work in Wirt County began in 1915. The first period would have be from the fall of 1915 to the end of the school year of 1919-1920.
The second period begins with the 1920-1921 school year and includes the term of 1932-1933. During this period the work was carried on by a partnership of Elizabeth Independent District and Elizabeth District.
The third period began when the County unit Bill was passed. By order of the Wirt County Board of Education the high school was made a county high school.
During the summer of 1920 a two story frame building was erected on Mulberry Street. The building was arranged to accommodate sixty students. At close of the term 1921-1922 the first four year class graduated.