Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of attending York River Academy?
Students who successfully complete YRA's innovative curriculum will have the chance to earn professional technical certifications - the same certifications that might cost thousands through private programs - that will enable them to enter the work force with in-demand skills. The certifications that are available are:
- IC3 - Internet Computer Core Certification
- MOS - Microsoft Office Specialist and Professional
- CompTIA - Computer Repair Certification
- CIW - Certified Internet Webmaster, Web Design 1 & 2
Who can attend YRA?
You can attend if you are a 9th through 12th grade student who reside in York County, and whose parents wish for you to enroll in York River Academy. Students must have an interest in a career in the computer and technology industry. Students must also meet at least one of the following characteristics:
- achieves below potential or unmotivated in traditional school setting
- history of absenteeism or tardiness
- previously retained (middle or high school)
- in need of additional educational support
- individual circumstances as detailed in student's application essay and approved by the application committee.
- Students must demonstrate a minimum total reading level of a 7.5 grade equivalency and must possess good color discrimination, eye-hand coordination
- the ability to perform detailed tasks.
What does it cost to attend the Academy?
No tuition is charged for York County residents, but normal fees will be applied as appropriate (e.g. General User Fees, Technology Fee, Industry Certification Test Fees).
Will transportation be offered?
Yes, bus transportation is provided to and from school each day of the school week.
May I pick and choose the courses I want to take?
When you enroll in the Academy, you will choose between two career tracks: the computer technician and cabling track or the Web design track. All other classes are then provided in support of your career choice.
Will Health and Physical Education classes be offered at YRA?
You will have the option to earn Health and Physical Education (grade 9) and Health, Driver Education and Physical Education (grade 10) credits via independent study. York River Academy's new gym provide new opportunity to have students participate in physical activity for a portion of the PE classes. Spanish 1 may be available via an online independent study through York County's Virtual High School. There is a tuition fee to attend the YCSD Virtual High School.
Will there be a YRA sports program?
No. Our optional Health and Physical Education classes (via independent study) promote our students' wellness.
Will the YRA grade scale be different from the other York County schools?
YRA will follow the same scale as all other schools in the York County School Division.
Where will students eat lunch? Students will eat lunch in the new lunch room at our new facility. York Middle School provides hot lunches for our if desired also students may pack their own lunch.
Who will pay for the school uniforms?
Families will be required to purchase school uniforms for their child. The YRA uniform consists of a belt, white or gray "polo" shirt ($14.99 and up), khaki or navy blue trousers ($19.99 and up), and dark casual or dress shoes.
Where can I get more information about YRA?
Contact YRA's principal, Walt Cross, at 898-0516.